Simplified Functional JS for the win! - 20th University of Illinois Web Conference
20th University of Illinois Web Conference is a 3-day conference for web designers, developers, social media marketers, content managers, and other web professionals within higher ed and beyond.
Simplified Functional JS for the win!
Presented by Jeff Barczewski
Learn how embracing a functional approach with JS can dramatically improve your development process, testing, re-use, and maintenance. Develop code that is bulletproof, resilient and easy to reason about. Functional techniques can be applied in an evolutionary manner as you grow accustomed to the concepts. Anyone can start using functional techniques today, no math degree required. It just takes an open mind and a passionate teacher to get started. Jeff will explain why functional approaches are so beneficial and will show you pragmatic ways to ease into functional programming. Once you’ve seen the light, it will likely forever change how you approach development.
- Slides (PDF) - for Jeff’s talk at 20th UIUC Web Conference 2019
- Simple made Easy - talk by Rich Hickey at Strange Loop
- Out of the Tar Pit - Reducing complexity in large-scale software systems
- Strange Loop conference and videos
- lodash/fp - functional programming style interface for lodash
- Main lodash siteL https://lodash.com/
- FP Guide to using lodash/fp - https://github.com/lodash/lodash/wiki/FP-Guide
- Generated FP docs for lodash/fp - https://gist.github.com/jfmengels/6b973b69c491375117dc
- Ramda FP Library - https://ramdajs.com/
- ReactJS - Supports a functional style - https://reactjs.org/
- Redux - Functional state container - https://redux.js.org/
- Recompose - Compose React components - https://github.com/acdlite/recompose
- RxJS - https://github.com/ReactiveX/rxjs
- Functional Programming languages that compile to JS